Black Elk: ‘his words are what the world needs’
By Kathy Cordes
“As he prayed with the pipe and sweat, the Mass and the rosary, this shows us that all prayers are good and should be respected,” said Deacon Bill White, Porcupine. “They are to remind us that the unity of Nicholas Black Elk’s life and times are what the world needs more now than ever.”
Catholics from around the world gathered at St. Agnes Church, Manderson, in August to celebrate the 5th Annual Memorial Mass for Servant of God Nicholas Black Elk, celebrated on the anniversary of Black Elk’s death. Before the Mass, Deacon White led a gravesite prayer at the cemetery for Black Elk.
“Intercessions and light switch miracles,” explained Deacon White, “are where one day someone who is blind and prays for Black Elk’s intercession and the next day he can see again. They are also needed to record our devotions and prayers for his intercession.”
The Diocesan Interim Report, “On Fama Signorum of the Servant of God Nicholas Black Elk” was recently sent to Rome as additional information for the cause for canonization of Black Elk. This report on signs and intercessions, and prayer and interest list that I keep continues to grow daily. Some of those devotions and those
- For all the kids attending summer camp. Fort Berthold Reservation, N.D.
- I have been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s Mantle Cell Lymphoma, started in my eye and has spread. Nicholas, pray for me! Sent by email
- Please pray for my brother-in-law, 60, who has recently become paralyzed due to an unknown illness. Pray for NBE intercession for total healing. Green River, Wyo.
- Pray for inspiration for a person creating artwork to be inspired by him and the Holy Spirit to guide her in this endeavor. Cincinnati, Ohio
- For Bishop Peter Muhich, priests, deacons who are in the throes of cancer, we pray for Nicholas’ intercession. Sent by email
- Prayer for NBE to intercede for an end to racism. Prayer at a diocesan event
- Prayers for my wife’s healing from osteoporosis, celiac disease and for my son’s healing from cystic fibrosis. Sent by email
- A novena in July to Black Elk for healing intercessions. Amherst, Mass.
- BE gives me much spiritual encouragement, he lived through these challenges brought on by the fears of others. But he did not fear these things. Society of St. Paul, Staten Island N.Y.
- A Kateri prayer group in Pennsylvania prays for the healing and quality of life for “Baby Faith.”
Please continue to send in your intercessions, prayer requests, and light switch miracles to the Diocese at email@example.com.