Crash Course on Personality Disorders
October 17, 2022 8:00 AM MDT
Description: Safety tips for helping companions on the Bipolar Roller Coaster to manage projections and being cast as a perpetrator in the trauma drama repetitions.
We begin with a brief overview of how trauma can distort natural gifts into the neurotic world and begin the genesis of a personality disorders.
Using a case example, we look at the role of previous sexual abuse and other trauma in relation to the challenges this can present in a ministry with post abortive/sexually abused clients, and the latest research on trauma treatment will help us understand the challenges presented in helping ministries and point the way to a safe and effective response.
- Understand the relationship between sexual/physical abuse and abortion in creating unique challenges for those who serve them.
- Borderline Personality Disorder as a framework to understand the individual and relational symptoms that can significantly impact helping relationships.
- Use a case study to understand the unique intimacy issues with women or men who have experienced sexual abuse and the effect on relationships with clergy.
- Outline safety tips for clergy and counselors vulnerable to boundary difficulties.
- Define transference and counter transference in their ministry relationships.
- Provide a safe and effective therapeutic and ministry response to those suffering sexual abuse, abortion loss, and other traumatic experiences.