Seventh Bishop of the Diocese
Motto: “Peace Be With You”
Native American name: Wakinya Ska (White Thunder)
- Born March 19, 1949, in Omaha, Nebraska
- Ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Omaha, August 16, 1975
- Appointed July 7, 1998; ordained and installed as eighth bishop of Rapid City, September 21, 1998; served as bishop 12 years
- Appointed June 30, 2010; installed as bishop of the Diocese of Spokane, September 3, 2010
- Appointed September 20, 2014; installed as archbishop of the Archdiocese of Chicago, November 18, 2014.
Cupich served in the Archdiocese of Omaha after his ordination and then was secretary to the apostolic nuncio in Washington, D.C. In 1989, he became president/rector of the Pontifical College Josephinium in Columbus, Ohio. When he became bishop of the diocese, he formed the diocesan youth commission and established the office of inculturation to create ways to incorporate Lakota rituals into the liturgy. Cupich called Synod 2002 to develop goals and strategies for renewing the Catholic faith throughout the diocese. Under his leadership, the We Walk By Faith special appeal was conducted to raise funds to purchase the former Benedictine monastery in Rapid City and renovate it into the Terra Sancta Spiritual Retreat Center and the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Elementary School at Terra Sancta.